Friday, August 3, 2012

Reflections--Week 6

This week I have been thinking about how long I have left at my internship.  I can't believe how fast the time has gone by.  I started slowly in May, making introductions and learning how everything works at the site.  And before I know it, it is August.  Thinking about having to say goodbye to some of the kids I've formed relationships with will not be easy, even though I have been preparing myself since the start.

I've learned so much from this internship experience.  I've thought about all that I have to offer to the families I visit.  When I first started my supervisor asked me that very question and I did not have a clear answer.  Since then, I know that I have my experiences, compassion, and curiosity to offer.  I have my passion for the expressive arts and creating connections to offer.  I have my listening ears, and I have my silent company.  I know I cannot cure and change the world in my short time with these families, but I know I am making an impact on their lives, hopefully for the better.  I hope I've given the siblings of these children in care at least one resource that they can use to express the way they feel with all the chaos surrounding them.  I hope I've given them a care-free summer afternoon where they could just be kids again. 

Hope.  That's what this field of work is all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment