Saturday, July 28, 2012

Fragile Footprints Summer Camp - Week 5

This week was WILD.  Monday through Friday, I was at Hope Floats in Kingston, MA where we held a summer camp for families in Fragile Footprints.  We also welcomed any bereavement families to come to the camp.  It was very well-attended and everyone seemed to have a really good time.

Each day we had activities planned.  Everyone arrived at noon and sat under the big tree while we all ate lunch.  Mamasteph, a wonderful musician who is great with the kids, played music during lunch.  Then we had activities like drumming, tie-dye, mask-making, painting, safe-room boxes, arm casts, laugh yoga, yoga, and carnival day.  By Friday, we had 50 people at the camp.  It was a blast working with the kids.  Adults could get alternative therapy treatments like reflexology, healing touch, massage, and reiki during the day for free.  Some kids even wanted to try out some treatments!  That made me really happy because people are so much more accepting and openminded about these alternative kinds of healing.

At the end of the week it was really sad to leave.  In a short five days, I met some wonderful people and got to build my relationship with people I had met before.  One image that will always stay with me is seeing one very little sick girl being held and played with by other children.  Bereaved family members would hold this little girl and rock her while she squirmed and cried.  Seeing families together, regardless of whatever "tough stuff" they were going through, was a really beautiful thing.  They all got along so well despite their differences.

Mamasteph's website is a great depiction of the kind of compassionate person she is: http://www.mamasteph.com

Hope Floats Wellness Center, located in Kingston, MA, offers regular treatments and workshops.  The founders of Hope Floats created it in memory of their son who died in a car accident almost ten years ago.  This story is so similar to my own: my family built a youth center in my hometown in memory of my brother who died in a car accident.  It will be ten years in April.  I spent time talking with one of the owners before camp one morning.  I love finding connections like this, it reminds me of why I am here and what gifts I have to offer.  The website for Hope Floats is:
http://www.hopefloatswellness.com/

I've posted some pictures of art projects that I've helped out with during my internship on the photo stream.  Enjoy them!

No comments:

Post a Comment