Thursday, June 28, 2012

Never Too Early to Talk About Termination... - Week 1

I have been at my internship site for about a month and a half so far.  I can't believe how fast the time is going by; I still feel like I've just started.  It has taken a little while to build up my schedule because so much of my schedule relies on children and their families.  I was thankful to have a little prep-time to get settled and find some places that would benefit from my help.

Even though it is still the very beginning of the course, I have already had to say goodbye to a family.  They had to move back to where they are originally from for various reasons.  On our last day together we made "remembering bracelets" and "goodbye cards."  I'd only had the chance to meet with these children a few times, but saying goodbye was still difficult.  Having activities that "named" the purpose of our meeting helped me to stay present, and I think the activities helped the children understand that we were not going to see each other again.  That last meeting together was very memorable for me.  Everything about our last time together was very special and I know I won't be forgetting about this family.

This brought up the idea that, although I've only just met some wonderful children and adolescents, my time with them is very short-term.  Very soon I am going to have to plant seeds that I will be leaving in the Fall.  During the Pediatric Palliative Care Team Meeting (held bi-weekly), I mentioned that we should probably have someone lined up to continue care for the people I am currently working with.  I also have to think about what I can do for myself because leaving these great children will definitely be a loss.

No comments:

Post a Comment